From the introduction page, we have presented the purposes and principles of our organization, Dao Tam Buddhist Society (DTBS). Let us, hereby, summarize the activities that we have accomplished and will continue to pursue to carry out the essential teachings of the Buddha, which is ''Serving sentient beings for a good cause in a Dharma way is offering to the Buddhas.''
1. Dharma Voice of Compassion (Tieng Tu Bi): Since the debut audio CD of Dharma Voice of Compassion was introduced to the audience seven years ago, we have produced over three hundred audio programs - both in CD and MP3 formats. Each of the hour-long programs includes articles, speech, songs, poems and short stories that evolve around Dharma teachings. At times we have also included interviews with many leading Buddhist monks and nuns.
2. The Entertainment Group (Ban Van Nghe Dao Tam): In order to spread the Dharma teaching and to create a fun and living environment for the young generation to embrace Buddhism, we have formed a choir that consists of our own group members. With the guidance of the two musicians and members, Khanh Hoang and Khanh Hai, we have written and performed our own Dharma songs, blended with the pleasant sound of accoustic guitars, mandoline, koto and other Vietnamese classical instruments. We also embrace and welcome the contribution of other musicians around the world, such as Vo Ta Han, Nguyen Tuan, Minh Tri, ... and the young performers in the metroplex at big events.
3. Distribution of Books and audio CDs: One of our goals is to keep the Dharma wheel (teachings) always turning by creating, sharing and distributing CDs and MP3s that contain the Dharma teachings, the chanting, and the Buddhist stories in the Voice of Compassion programs. We also have printed many Buddhist books, and recently started a ''reading audio book'' program where we read, record and make CDs and MP3s. All for free distribution to anyone that is interested in learning about Buddhism.
4. Encouranging members to practice Buddhism and learn the Dharma: In order to pass on the teaching of the Buddha, we strive to fully understand Buddhism. Our members have attended many meditation retreats, Dharma seminars and presentations, along with participation of pilgrimage to Buddha nations.
5. Regularly attend and serve at many temples: The Dao Tam Entertainment Group has provided complimentary performances during big events at many temples, such as the fund raising banquet for Linh Son Assisted Living Center and traditional Buddhist ceremonies throughout the year. The group has also recorded and released CDs which contain beautiful voices of its many talented singers. We welcome anyone with musical talents to join us to enrich our programs to better serve the religious organizations when called upon.
6. Extra Activities: DTBS also organizes group picnics, pilgrims, camping trips, and outdoor activities to give members an opportunity to meet and interact with each other. We also share our joy with one another in attending members' weddings, graduations, birthday parties, as well as comforting those that are going through hard times, such as sickness or death in the family.
7. Charity: DTBS has a charity fund to provide financial help to orphanages and victims of natural disasters in Viet Nam. We also make donations to organizations and temples that provide care to the helpless elderly and handicapped children. We have made financial contributions to several schools that are operated by nuns and monks for the homeless children and children with learning disabilities. Our charity programs are funded by members' contribution of $10 a month, and by occasional fund-raising events and donation drives.
8. Our Website: Last but not least, we are using our website, www.daotam.org, to further extend the circle of friends with other fellow Buddhists worldwide. The members who are in charge of our website always try their best to update information, news and announcements, upload audio CDs, Dharma talks, pictures, ... to continuously provide our supporters the latest of everything that is based on Dao Tam’s purposes and principles.
We always welcome your suggestions and feedback. And we would like to extend a warm welcome to any of you who would like to learn more about our group and to eventually become a member of our organization, so that together we can learn and practice Buddhism, and dedicate our services to all human kind.
May the light of Buddha continue to empower you and us on our journey to become enlightened.
Dao Tam Buddhist Society